The Stats Behind Self Love & Self Esteem: Why does it matter?
No sugar-coating here.
Sometimes hearing “yes, girl, you deserve everything good in life” and “show yourself the same love you show others” doesn’t hit strongly. You need to hear the concrete facts of why you should care about self love and self esteem, because you ask these questions:
- What’s my role in society?
- Why should anyone else care about me?
- Why sho--
Stop right there! That’s as far as you’ll go with that kind of talk here. Let’s get to the point.
Your sense of self love and self esteem is valuable because not only will it improve the quality of your life, but it will also influence others; even if you don’t see it.
We’re living in a self esteem epidemic.
DoSomething.org shared 11 facts about teens and self esteem that are alarming. These facts include but are not limited to:
- 75% of girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in negative activities like cutting, bullying, smoking, drinking, or disordered eating. This compares to 25% of girls with high self-esteem.
- 70% of girls age 15 to 17 avoid normal daily activities, such as attending school, when they feel bad about their looks.
- 7 in 10 girls believe that they are not good enough or don’t measure up in some way, including their looks, performance in school and relationships with friends and family members.
But it’s this bullet point fact that we’re about to share that sticks out to us most:
- The top wish among all teen girls is for their parents to communicate better with them. This includes frequent and more open conversations.
We need to be the role models.
If we’re not working on our relationships with ourselves and nurturing self love, we’re showing other women and younger generations this, too. Our kids, our nieces and nephews, our friends’ kids that call us auntie, they are influenced by the influential around them.
How To Get Started
At some point in time, self care became irregularly scheduled. We have to retrain ourselves and make self care a daily practice. By starting with self care, you soothe your life in various aspects which can positively shift your perspective of yourself and boost your self esteem.
Doing self care is an act of self love.
When you continuously care for yourself, you begin to see changes in yourself like:
- Not being as stressed as you usually are
- Your heart doesn’t feel so heavy and hurt by things outside of your control
- Being more efficient with coping strategies
- Being more resilient to stressors
- And more
Self care can look like an afternoon nap you’ve been craving for months or it can even look like swimming laps in a pool. It’s different for everyone! But when you haven’t been practicing self care on the daily, starting and being consistent can be difficult.
That’s why there are tools available like Shop Lovet Agency’s Self Care Planner, to help you get into the groove of practicing self care daily when your schedule seems to not allow it. Trust us, you can self care on a busy schedule. It just means some self care actions might be smaller than others to make do!
If you want to keep up to date with the latest blog posts, make sure you’re subscribed to our newsletter: CLICK HERE NOW.